Monday, August 17, 2015

Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng

I picked up Everything I Never Told You because a coworker recommend it. I'm glad she did. It was a hauntingly beautiful story that I probably wouldn't have picked up on my own.

Everything I Never Told You is tough to describe. There's so much there. The story revolves around the Lee family. James, the father, is an American born Chinese man. Marilyn, the mother, is white, Nathan, the brother, is headed to college. Hannah, the youngest daughter, is silent. And Lydia, the older daughter, is dead. That's not a spoiler. That's how the book starts. Lydia's dead and it's a mystery as to how and why. But the whole family unravels and Ng does a beautiful job of showing how they were and how they are. Ng's writing is gorgeous. The story itself was depressing at times but I couldn't stop reading it. I was so invested in the Lees. I needed to know how this story was going to work out.

I'll be keeping my eye for more of Ng's books. I believe this is her debut. I fell in love with her beautiful writing and engaging story telling. Others who shared their thoughts on Everything I Never Told You: A Reader of Fictions,Epiphany in Baltimore, and Rebel Mommy Book Blog.

1 comment:

Shiny! I love comments.